UTERUS DIDELPHYS HELP

Click here to edit subtitle

Chat

Forum Home > Your Experiences > My periods are hell!

SarahGotsIssues

I think my biggest problem with having UD is my periods. First off, I was diagnosed with UD when I was 15. I am now 25 and still having a hard time excepting that I am not like every other women. I have the typical UD aside from double vagina. I had a septum that caused double vagina but during a laperoscopy my doctor burned it out for me, in hopes that it would make periods easier. It hasn't. He also discovered that when I have a period, I bleed from both uteri. Because I have two cervixes tampons just DON'T WORK! I bleed right passed them because obviously I cannot block both cervixes at once. So my double periods are horrible, I have to wear pads the size of diapers and the cramps are unimaginably horrible! Please tell me I'm not the only one having trouble with this. I end up in bed for a week. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, have you found anything to help?

November 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

HANDLEwithCARE

This is me too! The first few days are unbelievably painful and HEAVY! And mine tend to last the full week too :-(

Tampons do nothing for me. I find that even with pads I leak! How embarrassing?!?!

I've not found the answer yet... just pain killers and hot water bottles I'm afraid.

I've not yet had confirmation of which uterine anomaly I have - although my consultant suspects bicornuate with single cervix - although I now doubt that! I'm beginning to think I have a double cervix and vaginal septum???

Just wish I knew xxxxxxxxxx

December 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Milo1995

My menstruation would come every 2-3 weeks and used to be very painfull and would last a full week. I took birthcontrolpils for several years and that made things a bit better; I had a regular period and the pain was less. (with some light painmedication it was okay)

I stopped taking the b.c.-pils a couple of years ago and to my surprise I still have a regular period. I do bleed a lot and I also cannot use tampons. Sometimes I changed my pad (the biggest there are) and 10 minutes later I can leak right through. It sure is embarrassing! So the first 3 days I always carry clean cothing with me. Luckely after those 3 days I bleed only mildly.

March 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sel

My periods are finally on a 28-day schedule. Cramps are horrible, but the 800mg Motrin usually works. Sometimes I need to take 2 within an hour or so of each other, if 1 doesn't work. My nurse friend says that's a no-no. . . but hey, it works most of the time. A couple of times I've tried vocodin, and that also does the trick. However that's not for everyone and since the Motrin usually works I haven't asked my doc to prescribe me anything stronger.

As for not being able to wear tampons, I thought that for about 14 years. Yes I would leak horribly and I've had so many embarrassing moments with that, and still have "accidents" at times. One day, my boyfriend at the time asked why I didn't just try wearing two tampons at once. Genius! Since I have two cervixes and a vaginal septum, each one has it's own tampon and OMG freedom from huge leaky pads!

It is uncomfortable sometimes and seems to pinch my urethra a tad, but Tampax (and I found out Playtex also has some but I haven't tried them yet) makes slender regular absorbancy tampons. I still have to change them every couple of hours at the height of my flow, and it's a little expensive, but I am soooo glad I found a way to make it work :) Insertion is a little tricky. I have to place one with one hand, place the other wtih the other hand, then simultaneously push them all the way in and remove the applicators. It gets easier with practice.

Hope that helps a few people out. . .

April 1, 2010 at 2:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nicole-Aus

Hello,

I am sorry that you are having so many troubles. 

I was wondering couldn't you stop your periods all together... maybe that would be easier.

I found out at 14 that I had uterus didelphys (one blind; which was opened at the time), I was told stay on the pill and have only four periods a year due to not being able to use a tampon also. Just recently my uterus has become blind again and the doctor said to stay on the pill full time and not have any periods. I have had no side effects and I am sure my doctor would not tell me to do something if it wasn't safe. 

I hope that my experience may provide some help for you.

April 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DeeAnn

It's horrible to have a tampon in, but leak anyway.  One of the many downsides of UD.  I never thought it was possible to actually have another person understand this problem.  It sure does feel good to know their are others that suffer this weird quirky anomaly, lol.

April 8, 2010 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nell

Hi there, I used to have terrible period pains used all types of pain killers but what helped me out, to the point where I haven't needed strong painkillers for quite a while as panadol etc helps, is reflexology! I know it sounds quirky but trust me it really does work, well did for me anyway.  I would be doubled up in pain, bleeding profusely, not able to use tampons until my septum was removed (I also have 2 cervices), soft bowel movements and also vomitting.  After a 6 week weekly session of reflexology I didn't take painkillers for 9 months!!!!!!! Hope this helps x x

April 22, 2010 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Danielle

Hey everyone, I have UD; 2 uterus', 2 cervixes and the vaginal septum. I also have many problems with my period. However up til now there is NO solution for me. I used to be on the pill and still had very iregular periods. Right now I've been on my period for 20 consecutive days. My record is a month and nine days. I'm currently getting progesterone shots every 12 weeks. Finally for a month and a half I wont have my period but then when it starts up again it lasts up until my next appointment for my progesterone shot which can be a month or more away. Anyone know of any medication that has helped shorten there period? Has anyone ever had a problem like this before due to UD? I

May 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Elisha

Danielle at May 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Hey everyone, I have UD; 2 uterus', 2 cervixes and the vaginal septum. I also have many problems with my period. However up til now there is NO solution for me. I used to be on the pill and still had very iregular periods. Right now I've been on my period for 20 consecutive days. My record is a month and nine days. I'm currently getting progesterone shots every 12 weeks. Finally for a month and a half I wont have my period but then when it starts up again it lasts up until my next appointment for my progesterone shot which can be a month or more away. Anyone know of any medication that has helped shorten there period? Has anyone ever had a problem like this before due to UD? I

Danielle i used to have long periods when i was in my teens, not as long as you but a week to week and a half, and birth control was the only thing that helped shorten them. You said you had tried the pill but have you tried any others? I really liked the nuva ring it shortened my period to 3 days (of course if you have a septum i dont think you can use it) and also there is seasonique which gives you a period only every 4 months. You can also skip periods on any birth control where you dont take breaks except every few months to have a period. This is actually what i did for awhile and my doctor recommended it.

May 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sel

Danielle at May 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Which b/c pill did you try? I had a similar problem, but the regular (not the Lo) Ortho Tri-Cyclen helped me out. Maybe because of the varied hormones kind of forcing my body into a pattern? I've tried some of the monocyclic pills so I could skip periods and they make me bleed for a month straight. Downside to the tri-cyclen would be that you can't skip periods, but having them be regular and last only a few days is fabulous.

May 12, 2010 at 11:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maggie

Mine have been really painful too. My doctor says I have a high tolerance for pain, and I wonder if it's because of my cramps?? I used to wish for a wheelchair because walking was so difficult the firs tfew days.

I have two uteri, two cervixes (I get the plurals mixed up all time!), and a septum. Luckily, or not, the septum starts between the cervixes and then only goes about three fourths of the way to the opening. Tampons (we call them plugs in my house) are difficult to use. I found I can use one-OB. When you prep it, you flare the end. So when it's coming down from the other side, it still gets stopped by the flared out part. No other brands work for me.

Also, for my cramps-this has been a life saver for me. Red Raspberry Leaf tea. Not the stuff already made up in a bag, but I went to an herbalist nearby and got dried out red raspberry leaves, then bought a tea ball to brew it. I started drinking that 3x a day during menstration. WOW! I immediately saw a difference in my flow (from 7 days to 4-5) and my cramps significantly reduced to where I rarely need pain meds anymore. You can research this tea, midwives have used it for centuries because of the toning effect it has on the uterus. I can't promise that it will help you, but it has been awesome for me. Again-not the stuff in the grocery store-it's usually other stuff flavored with red raspberry.

Hopefully this helps some of you... :)

September 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nicole

I always thought I was alone!! No one ever understood when I said I had cramps, it felt like I was going to die!! People would always be like ya I get cramps too just take advil. It didnt work, I have had to take days off work, school. In bed in agony for at least 3 days, bleeding so much i would feel sick and get really pale.

March 30, 2011 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

laurenjolynn

I have UD and my sister has a septate uterus, our periods are hell as well. I started at 11 and by 13 I was bleeding for a week every 6 days. Ive taken multiple kinds of BC pills some help but Ive never had a "normal" cycle. Somedays I wonder if it would just be easier to have a complete hystorectomy  

April 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Freogh

I had this problem so bad that I couldn't cope with periods, I would have to take a week of work  to stay in bed or run to the bathroom. The pain is worse than  normal labour. At first I had my cervix's widened but it made no difference. in the end the only solution was birth control pills taken without a weeks break so that I have no period. There are certain pills it is safe to do this with , though you may need to search for one that suits you. I take cerezette and think its wonderful. Despite 20 years of birth control pills I have no problem conceiving as soon as I stop taking them and i'm now pregnant with my 4th. this time I didn't even have a period after I stopped the pill, I was pregnant within days so I'm 33 weeks and counting and I haven't had a period for years :)

April 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maggie

Also, I had the vaginal septum exision about 6 months ago. Since then, I've noticed my periods seems to end quicker... I don't know why, but they do.

September 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TR

I just found out I have UD.  I'm now realizing why my periods hurt so badly.  I don't have too heavy a flow but the cramps render me helpless.  It's usually worse when I'm at work and have to work through the pain .I have thought to go home mid-day but I've never done it yet. 

September 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Haley

I also had to stay home from school whenever I had periods. That's right, I don't have them anymore. I've been on Depo Provera for about 2 years now and I love it. It's a shot you get every 3 months. I stopped menstruating regularly about the 2nd time I got the shot. I now only have spotting occasionally (when I get stressed out or hang around too many females lol) and It's such a relief to not have to worry about missing so much class. Not to mention the feeling like I'm gonna die, which was how I felt on my period before birth control. I would get pale, shakey, weak, nauseous, have diharrea, and get in a cold sweat. It was and continues to be the worst physical pain I've ever felt. 
I was on the pill for 3-4 years before the shot and it never worked for me. I was having two periods a month at times, and they were still fairly painful. I had tried every kind of pill, at the highest strength and they didn't help with my periods. They made em worse. Try Depo Provera (the shot) if you are still frustrated with your periods. 

October 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Haley

laurenjolynn at April 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I have UD and my sister has a septate uterus, our periods are hell as well. I started at 11 and by 13 I was bleeding for a week every 6 days. Ive taken multiple kinds of BC pills some help but Ive never had a "normal" cycle. Somedays I wonder if it would just be easier to have a complete hystorectomy  

I had heard that UD and similar conditions could be carried in families, but I had never met anyone with it. I think one of my little sisters might also be affected. How did you guys find out?

October 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lorr

Its so strange now that it all makes sense why tampons never worked for me either. I have Ud with two cervixes aswell so one cervix bleeding was obviously still bypassing the tampon. My periods are regular as clockwork but very heavy with clots , Im assuming that my two wombs are in sync with each other and bleeding at the same time causing double the flow

October 17, 2011 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ATJones12

My name is Victoria. I learned something wasn't normal when I was 12 and started my period. I was at gymnastics camp and woke up having these cramps so horrible that crying seemed to just make it worse.

That was 7 years ago. In '09 I learned I have 2 uteri, 2 cervix and a vertical vaginal septum. But the location of the septum causes my left side to be a lot smaller than the right. Everytime I tried to put a tampon on in I would be like which hole or side do I put the tampon in and my best friend and mom would say the hole before your anus! I got so fustrated I used pads for 6 years. I would get rashes from the pads all the time since I did so much moving from gymnastics. The first time Iever tried to use a tampon and I realized i was bleeding through it the tampon got stuck for what seemed like forever while I was at camp when I first started.

The cramps. Oh my there are no words to describe the pain caused bythe cramps. Since my mom never had cramps at all she couldn't sympathize at all with having cramps at all. But I could barely walk to the bathroom they were so bad so it was like I was in the bathroom or in bed most of the time.

Getting on bc helped regulate my periods and the cramps went down emmencely (did I speel that right?) and my period went from 7 full days to 4 or 5. I was never too heavy so I didn't have to worry about that part. But It was still difficult getting 2 tampons in because the left side is so much smaller than the right side. Once I learned about using 2 tampons - one for both sides - most of the time they worked but sometimes I would still leak. I don't know why. When I talked to my doctor she would say since the septum wasn't causing any pain I didn't need to have it removed. I really want to get it removed or cut in half and stiched to the walls of the vaginal canal.

January 2, 2012 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.