UTERUS DIDELPHYS HELP

Click here to edit subtitle

Chat

Forum Home > Your Experiences > An Open Letter to My Gyn

Sonya

This is my first post, and I feel like I want to start at the beginning of my experiences with UD and the medical establishment.  Be warned, not all gynecologists know what they are dealing with when it comes to anomalies.  I wrote this letter to my first gynecologist when I was 19.  I think it basically speaks for itself....  

(p.s. Very happy to have found this website.)

The Letter:

Dr. D-----,

I feel you should know why I can no longer choose you as my gynecologist. Since the appointment in which I alerted you to the fact that I have a vaginal septum, your attitude toward me as a patient has completely changed. I now feel that you treat me more like a case study than an actual human patient. I don’t feel that I can trust you to value my interests anymore.

Let me explain in more detail. The appointment in which you diagnosed the vaginal septum was rather humiliating. You invited another nurse into the room without asking my permission. You barely even addressed me at all; you just picked up the phone and called in a person who was almost a total stranger to me. That nurse proceeded to walk behind you during my pelvic exam. I hope it does not come as a surprise to you that most women consider a pelvic exam to be a particularly uncomfortable, vulnerable, and most of all private procedure. In addition to this violation of my privacy, your use of two speculums at the same time was somewhat painful. As you hurried out of the exam room at the end of our appointment, I immediately began crying and went home feeling anxious and confused.

Undoubtedly you wish that I had said something at the time, spoken up for myself. I wish the very same thing, and for a while I blamed myself for the whole ordeal. However, I feel that at some point it is the physician’s job to monitor the comfort of the patient, and in my recollection I was never asked whether I was okay with what was happening in the exam room. For my part, I was scared and confused, but most of all I was assuming that the person examining me was someone I could trust.

I had planned to tell you all of this in person at our last appointment, but our conversation then made me realize that trust was not the only thing missing. At that appointment you asked me if I had seen “Dr. Stern to take care of the septum.” I had never heard this name, Dr. Stern, before, and we had never really discussed any surgical option. If you had bothered once to ask me my opinion about having a vaginal septum, you would know that elective surgery, especially vaginal surgery, is one of the last things on earth I would ever do – right behind jumping headfirst into a volcano. At the very least you would know that I am actually quite satisfied with my anatomy because the septum is not a problem, and it never was. It does not prevent me from having intercourse, I can use the feminine products I choose, and I accepted it as a natural part of my body a long time ago. The only time I ever felt any shame or resentment about it was after your diagnosis and the subsequent appointment with radiology.

The result is that I will now see a different gynecologist, because I don’t feel that I can trust you with my privacy and you have not demonstrated any interest in what I want for my own body. I hope that you take my experience into consideration in your medical practice. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely, Sonya

February 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

laurenjolynn

Sonya! I had a simular experience! except he called in 5 other doctors! I was mortified I went went home and cried for days. I have yet to find a Dr that has any knowledge of my anomaly, one Dr. even called me a science Experiment! I never went back!

April 14, 2011 at 7:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seeing_Double2012

I was reading your letter and almost started crying realizing thats what happend to me! I was lying on the table durring a pap test when the dr yelled out "You have two vaginas!" i was in shock and after we proceeded to bring in another dr and a nurse like i was some expierement on a table, i then started to tear up and he looks at me and says "what like you didn't know!" I will never forget that day and now 10 doctors later i have found a female dr that has shown very much promise by researching my condishion and actually showing a general interest...

--

May 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dee

i had the same problem when in labour with my daughter i had students looking into my vaginas there was about 5 students 3 doctors an a midwife an yes i felt like an experiment like the first born of a new species it was horrible it hurt with all of them putting their fingers in me while in labour that i had to have gas not that i helped exept i was laughing which was frustrating coz i was actually crying, it was the worst experience of my life when it should have been the most precious.

May 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Clara

I've had some very similar experiences. I feel as though I'm either a test case or something the doctors just don't want to deal with. I was diagnosed within the past year because I have been having so much pain. I've been to a few doctors but always feel as though I'm an experienment and they don't really know what to do with me. I'm actually wondering does anyone have any recomendations for doctors who have worked with people with UD? In California, in the bay area?

January 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahJ

God you would think they had studied this at University. How totally incompetant.

January 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Preili

After I had my first surgery (there wasn't an opening from my left uterus, I've got only one cervix, and the blood couldn't get out from the lest one) the duty doctor or something like that, who was at my surgery to help or something, made the morning rounds with the residents, when they reached my room she explained my diagnosis and my surgery to them and then she said with this bitchy voice that she didn't see the second uterus and at the same moment she looked at me like it was my fault. She was really rude the entire time, when my doctor asked for her advice while she was examining me, can't remember if it was before or after the surgery, she practically yelled at me because I winced when she touched the place that had small inflammation.

Since I live in a small country there aren't many women like me and sometimes the doctors don't believe me at first, they think that my uterus has two horns or something like that, I really don't know the english word for it, and that having two separate uteruses with one cervix is almost impossible.

My first doctor who discovered my condition sent me to different medical examinations, I've been to magnetic tomography twice, so many ultrasounds, a lot of pain and tears. I've always had a fear for doctors. The worst was when I had some kind of x-ray while she was injecting iodine or something like that to my cervix, I'm not sure what she did because I had huge panic attack at the same time, I almost fainted. When I finished I had blood on my legs. A really nice nurse helped me to get dressed and called some other nurses to get me, I was so weak that I couldn't even walk or go home, had to sleep for a few hours in the hospital.

January 13, 2016 at 9:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Preili

Preili at January 13, 2016 at 9:33 PM

After I had my first surgery (there wasn't an opening from my left uterus, I've got only one cervix, and the blood couldn't get out from the lest one) the duty doctor or something like that, who was at my surgery to help or something, made the morning rounds with the residents, when they reached my room she explained my diagnosis and my surgery to them and then she said with this bitchy voice that she didn't see the second uterus and at the same moment she looked at me like it was my fault. She was really rude the entire time, when my doctor asked for her advice while she was examining me, can't remember if it was before or after the surgery, she practically yelled at me because I winced when she touched the place that had small inflammation.

Since I live in a small country there aren't many women like me and sometimes the doctors don't believe me at first, they think that my uterus has two horns or something like that, I really don't know the english word for it, and that having two separate uteruses with one cervix is almost impossible.

My first doctor who discovered my condition sent me to different medical examinations, I've been to magnetic tomography twice, so many ultrasounds, a lot of pain and tears. I've always had a fear for doctors. The worst was when I had some kind of x-ray while she was injecting iodine or something like that to my cervix, I'm not sure what she did because I had huge panic attack at the same time, I almost fainted. When I finished I had blood on my legs. A really nice nurse helped me to get dressed and called some other nurses to get me, I was so weak that I couldn't even walk or go home, had to sleep for a few hours in the hospital.

I forgot to add that I almost got the mean doctor. My gynecologist got me an appointment with the mean one, but my family doctor got me an appointment that was earlier. I'm really glad that I didn't get her as my doctor, I was only 19 then and I was really scared of everything. Besides it felt like she hated me for having two uteruses. Baby I was born this way. 

January 13, 2016 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.