UTERUS DIDELPHYS HELP

Click here to edit subtitle

Chat

Forum Home > Your Questions > Get one womb removed?

MC

Hi all,

I'm 25, I found out at 15 that I have 2 wombs, cervix and vaginas due to a secondary condition. Nothing much was said at the time other than, we may have t look at thigs when you are older.

I went for my first smear recently and they couldn't find the second cervix easily and they hadn't my notes from when I was 15 so I was sent for an MRI, the results confirmed I do have double of everything.

I'm being scheduled for a procedure, can't think of name but basically, small camera inseted near belly button to take a better look and get pictures also while I'm under they'll do the smear tests and they'll be checking on my kidey as I only have one.

Anyway, the consultant said that after this we may talk about surgery and get a second opinion on removing one womb. I thought this sounded very strange, after all they are both healthy. She said that if I got pregnant, both wombs would start to grow so the one with no baby could cause me to miscarry. She was a bit scary to be honest talking of women coming in with 'miscarriage after miscarriage'.

From looking online, I haven't seen anyone mention removing one womb. I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me if they have been advised to get one womb removed.

Thanks,

M

October 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alison

Hi, I'd strongly recommend you get a 2nd opinion.  If you have two healthy uteri there is NO need to remove one.  When you get pregnant, the uterus with the baby in it grows, the other does not.  It's the growing baby that makes the uterus grow, not the uterus growing on it's own.

The procedure you're getting done where they put a camera through your belly button, is called a laparoscopy.  You'll be given general anaesthetic, and they'll put a camera in your belly button, and probably some other incision sites on your abdomen so they can put other instruments in.  They will inflate your stomach with gas so they can have a good look inside.

My 2nd cervix is never found when I have smear tests done.  I only have ever had my right cervix checked.  They were going to do a colposcopy after my last one to check the left, as it is definitely there, and has been seen while I've had laparoscopies.  But I'm now 9 weeks pregnant, so didn't want to get it done while pregnant.

November 7, 2011 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MC

Hi thanks for the advice,

I probably will end up getting a second opinion, had the laporoscapy (apologies for spelling) and I haven't taked to the gyn yet but another doctor helping her said one of the wombs very small and would not be able to carry a pregnancy due to size. Had another test done last week, a Hystersalpingogram or HSG to inject something similar to dye into wombs to check out there size and see if everythin looks ok eg no bloackages in fallopian tubes by a scan which would show the dye. Wasn't given any info after, now have another 4 weeks to wait before seeing gyn again and finding out all they have learned between the different procedures. I was told that both wombs would grow in pregnancy due to hormones but there seems to be differing opinions on that. In fairness the doctor is lovely and before the procedures she did mention having anoher doc look at them, if surgery maybe uk. when I was in hospital a doctor in dublin was mentioned who I may be referred on to depending on the results. Appears to be a waiting game now to see what will happen. At the HSG, the doctor (the one assisting gyn) mentioned the surgery possibility and that the different tests would show what to get rid of. Bit confused by the whole thing but have decided there is no point worrying until I've met the gyn and see what she saids about it. I will def seek a second opinion if surgery is mentioned again to make sure it is the best option. I find it hard to imagine seeing as I've seen no mention of anyone doing it on any website including this one.

November 15, 2011 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MC

Alison,

Sorry forgot to say congratulations,

Can understand why you wouldn't do one now, if they haven't been too worried before i'm sure it can wait till after you have the baby,

Thanks again

M

November 15, 2011 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ATJones12

MC at November 15, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Hi thanks for the advice,

I probably will end up getting a second opinion, had the laporoscapy (apologies for spelling) and I haven't taked to the gyn yet but another doctor helping her said one of the wombs very small and would not be able to carry a pregnancy due to size. Had another test done last week, a Hystersalpingogram or HSG to inject something similar to dye into wombs to check out there size and see if everythin looks ok eg no bloackages in fallopian tubes by a scan which would show the dye. Wasn't given any info after, now have another 4 weeks to wait before seeing gyn again and finding out all they have learned between the different procedures. I was told that both wombs would grow in pregnancy due to hormones but there seems to be differing opinions on that. In fairness the doctor is lovely and before the procedures she did mention having anoher doc look at them, if surgery maybe uk. when I was in hospital a doctor in dublin was mentioned who I may be referred on to depending on the results. Appears to be a waiting game now to see what will happen. At the HSG, the doctor (the one assisting gyn) mentioned the surgery possibility and that the different tests would show what to get rid of. Bit confused by the whole thing but have decided there is no point worrying until I've met the gyn and see what she saids about it. I will def seek a second opinion if surgery is mentioned again to make sure it is the best option. I find it hard to imagine seeing as I've seen no mention of anyone doing it on any website including this one.

Hi, I have the same issue with having one side (mine being the left) being smaller than the other. Yet I conceived in the smaller side and it has grown well with the size of my little girl. I'm 37 weeks now and everything has gone smoothly so far. I thought of having the same uterus removed but since it was fully functional and didn't cause any problems so I'm not worried about having it removed. Now the septum on the other hand I will be having removed once I am able to.

Best regards,

Victoria

January 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.