UTERUS DIDELPHYS HELP

Click here to edit subtitle

Chat

Forum Home > General Discussion > removing a septum advice

Siera

So i am in desperate need of help. I found out today that i have two uteruses and two cervixes, along with a vaginal septum. As of right now i am not looking to get pregnant, im 19, in fact i havent even had sex due to my uncertainty of my condition (which has now been confirmed). So my main concern at the moment is whether or not to remove the septum in surgery. I know sex with a septum is possible, but can be very uncomfortable. I have one side of the vagina that is more comfortable with tampons and such, while the other side causes me pain if it is messed with. My personal opinion and desire would be to have the septum removed, just so i can feel better about myself, use tampons, hopefully eventually have sex, etc. BUT, i am very concerned with the risks involved with removing a septum. i have read quite a few discussions on here now and it seems like a few of the women have experienced problems with scar tissue, vaginal bleeding or decreased sensitivity during sex. The last thing i want to do is cause more of a problem with an already not ideal situation. So i am seeking all the advice i can get on the circumstances of everyone in the same position as me.

June 5, 2013 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alexa
You shoulld look into dilation as an option. They stretch out one side (whichever one) so it becomes large enough and comfortable enough to function as a normal sized and comfortable vagina. I am having this dilation therapy in hospital on Tuesday as an alternative to surgery
June 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Siera
Thank you so much for your reply. It means a lot to me. And I didn't even know that was an option. Please let me know how your appointment goes!
June 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

unique77
Hiya, by all means try that option of dilation. But from what I've heard from professionals and my own experience. The septum is a blockage, therefore it needs to be removed so as to be a corrected vaginal opening or tube. Have a look at pictures of the septum on a didelphic uterus, its really something that doesnt need to be there as tampons and other things don't split in two. Totally your choice, but I'm certainly happy with my choice of removing my septum I had. If you have any questions just email me: [email protected] or respond to this post :)
July 26, 2013 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kaylahjj

Hi,

I was 12 when I was diagnosed with Uterus didelphys. I two had double uterus and double cervix with a septum. I did have it removed however it took 4 surgeries because of the lack of knowledge with doctors. This was over 12 years ago. I would say I am glad that I had it removed. The surgeries were not painful and the only reason it took so many times was because I didn't have the right doctor. I would say do it, but make SURE you have a doctor that knows what they are doing and knows uterus didelphys. I had two surgeries at a local hospital and then moved on to the MAYO clinic where my last two were.  It should only have taken one surgery.  

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 2 years now and still have had no luck. We ahve been on fertility treatments with artificial insemination etc and nothing. We are looking to start IVF.

I do not belive my surgeries contributed to my infertility.

I hope this helps

--
August 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kturbes3

I also have two uteruses, two cervixes, and two vaginas, but everything was exactly the same size. The doctor said that they are a mirror image of each other. But I was told that having my septum removed would improve sexual pleasure an eventually eliminate the pain it was causing during sex, and not to mention I would finally be able to use tampons. I was 19 and in labor with my (now) 7 year old son when I was diagnosed with UD and everything FINALLY made sense. After my body was done healing from my C-section (about 3 months) I had the surgery to remove the septum, and it only took about 45min in the operating room, and recovery was EXTREMELY easy, didn't have much pain at all, which is very suprising, but very good. I would do some research on doctors that have performed the surgery successfully and who feel comfortable doing it. I recommend it, but only if you find a doctor who feels confident and at ease about performing the surgery. Good luck!!

August 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kturbes3

Oh, and the removal of the septum by surgery did not affect anything negatively. I did have a miscarriage 2 years after the surgery, but I am 100%sure it was not due to the surgery because I now have a 15 month old baby girl, and am currently 5wks and 5days pregnant with my 3rd child!!!

August 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.